I’ve had some time to start on the TV Stand/Console. There have been some ups and downs with this project. The construction has been moving along quite nicely, without any real issues. An “incident” that happened during the project, was that my planer spun the pulley that was connected to the cutting head.
When the pulley came loose, it also damaged the cutting head. I would have had to replace the pulley and the cutting head. This planer is a “lunchbox” style planer from Grizzly (G0505). The “good” thing about Grizzly, is that you can order just about any part for their machines and the cost isn’t that bad. I’ve never been happy with this planer, so I took this opportunity to replace it. I ended up going with a Dewalt DW375. I’ve used it to surface a few boards and I’m loving this machine! The finished surface is pretty smooth for power planer, and the Snipe is much less than my Grizzly.
As for the TV stand, I’ve made some pretty good progress on the base. I have the ends assembled, and was working on the back this weekend. The back is Frame and Panel construction (like just about everything else on this project).
The back is divided up into 2 panels. I got to the point where I need to cut and install the center Stile. Measuring for the length of the Stile, is next to impossible. I really don’t use a rule/tape very much, only for the first few pieces of a project. Then the rest is cut to fit.
I cut my Stile over sized, then clamped in place. After making sure it was square, I then used a Marking Knife to mark the top and bottom.
After I had those marks, I just added the length of my Tenons and cut them to final size. This approach is quick, accurate and nearly foolproof.
I then needed to cut the back panels to size. Cutting them to width is pretty easy, with a couple rip cuts on the Table Saw. Crosscutting to length was another issue. These panels were too wide for my Miter Gauge or Crosscut Sled.
I struck a knife line square across one of the panels. I then lined the two panels together, then clamped them in the vise.
With the 2 panels together it gave me more surface area for my plan to shoot the end. As you start to get close to the line, you can see the end grain fibers start to fall apart at the knife line.
I then cut them to length, using the Table Saw and Rip Fence. Generally you don’t want to use the Rip Fence, when crosscutting a board. These panel are somewhat “large”, and felt safe doing this cut. I just made sure there weren’t any distractions, and paid attention to what I was doing during this cut.
A quick dry fit of the back panels. The back looks great, I can’t wait to see it with the doors on.